RE: [nsp] REG: MPLS VPN route exchange

From: Vinod Anthony Joseph Cherunni (vac@dsqworld.com)
Date: Thu Oct 05 2000 - 10:54:09 EDT

Hi,

Thanks so much for everything.. Can I take the privilege to further bother
you on the same issues you had mailed me on.

Assume I have a configuration like this -

ip vrf VPN-A
rd 100:1
route-target export 100:1
route-target import 100:1

1. The route-target here implies that routes belonging to VRF-A with RD of
100 will be exported, & routes belonging to RD 100 will be imported, Now
if RD's have local significance, how will the source which exchanges
routing information with this router be identified.

Because in the BGP configuration, when I set up an IBGP session with an
internal PE router which may be catering to multiple VPN clients, how will
I ensure which RD routes are exchanged or exported to which RD (VPN), Or
else is the VRF identifier globally significant, which is taken into
consideration while exchanging routes.

2. I am still unclear on how the Core routers, who do not share VPN route
information do forwarding, becos when a core router recieves a packet from
a VPN source (Private IP address space) destined for another private
address space, how will it decide on forwarding, because there would be no
entry in its routing table.

Kindly adviceds

Thanks & Kind regards,
Vinod.