RE: [nsp] REG: MPLS VPN route exchange

From: Scott Morris (smorris@mentortech.com)
Date: Thu Oct 05 2000 - 11:20:30 EDT

No problem.

1. The RD (according to the RFC) doesn't need to be globally significant.
It makes life MUCH easier if it is. Providers use this to signify a "VPN
ID" (maybe a customer number for billing?). But within the VRF, you can
have multiple route-target imports and exports from different RD's or
communities, so that's where you get the idea that it doesn't HAVE to be
global in nature.

The "route target both 100:1" will put the import/export on one line. You
can also use "import map (name)" to use route-map filtering...

2. The PEs use MBGP to exchange information. That track next hop routers,
or particularly, the exit PE router for other ends of a VPN. You can use
MPLS LDP to then set up a path to get to the exit PE through normal IP
routing/MPLS switching. Each of your PEs will be a meshed MBGP neighbor
with all other PEs. your Core routers will only NEED to know the internal
(IGP) structure of how to get to the IP used as next-hop in from one PE to
another.

I probably made that more confusing than necessary in the last post or two,
and I apologize for that.... the core routers do not need to be a part of
the MBGP process. It won't harm anything if they are, but there's no need
for that to happen.

I have a PDF file to send you... It's about 10 meg in size though. I'm
travelling at the moment, and don't care to sit around forever on a dialup
line! :) However, I'll e-mail it to you this coming weekend, and it'll help
put some of this in a better perspective for you.

Scott