[nsp] EIGRP Load Balancing

From: Mark Persiko (persiko@bvsd.k12.co.us)
Date: Wed Oct 04 2000 - 18:52:44 EDT

Our network has five locations each connected via dual leased-
lines back to a central location. The first leased-line in each
pair is a full T1 and the second leased-line is a T1 with channels
split out for voice, leaving 640K for data.

We are running EIGRP in AppleTalk and IP as our WAN routing
protocol. EIGRP is supposed to load balance automatically
between equal-cost paths, at least in IP. For each pair of T1's
above, we are treating both members of a pair as equal cost so
that both routes show up in the routing table.

Reading in Cisco's BSCN classbook about EIGRP, I see that
EIGRP load balances IP packets on a per-destination basis when
fast-switching is running on an interface. Watching this on network
management shows that one line is full while the other is little-used.
This happens for minutes at a time. I assume I'd get better link
utilization by turning off fast-switching on each line, but that would
drive CPU utilization through the roof on our routers.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to achieve better link utilization
in EIGRP? Any parameters that I can set? I've tried using "bandwidth"
but that makes one link disappear from the IP routing table. "variance"
would make up for that but I would imagine it would leave me in the
same position as if I didn't use either command.

Thanks,
 Mark

- Mark C. Persiko, persiko@bvsd.k12.co.us
- MIS Dept, Boulder Valley Public Schools