RE: [nsp] REG: MPLS VPN route exchange

From: Scott Morris (smorris@mentortech.com)
Date: Sat Oct 07 2000 - 22:00:07 EDT

1. You're corret.
2. You control that with your vrf import/export/both, and using route-maps
to filter the specific prefixes (regular BGP stuff)
3. The routes are shared with the BGP community values. The RD and
community values don't HAVE to be equal. All examples in the docs I gave
you the link to DO show them being equal. That's just a sanity check. You
can set the import community from any RD you feel like. But if you have a
big network, and make them all different you'll have some EVIL
administration to do all the time! (job security?)
4. Sanity
5. That's the "regular" LDP stuff. In the Cisco world, MPLS MUST HAVE CEF
running in order to work. So you'll have a fast "IP" lookup ability anyway.
But in an MPLS network, whenever a packet comes in, first a LIB (Label
Information Base) lookup is done, then a CEF lookup will be done if the LIB
has no entry. So in effect, no label, no route, therefore "regular" IP
routing concepts. If there isn't an entry, most likely the router will
pause, send an LDP request/query and establish a route and propogate a set
of labels through the network along a given path. That'll happen the first
time for every different type of flow (unless you traffic engineer and
pre-establish paths).

Scott