RE: [nsp] REG: MPLS VPN route exchange

From: Vinod Anthony Joseph Cherunni (vac@dsqworld.com)
Date: Tue Oct 10 2000 - 06:31:51 EDT

Hi,

Thanks a ton once again for all the advice & suggestions. Just going back
to our previous discussion, Could I take the privilege of taking up some
of your time pls.

Going back to the scenario of one customer site being part of two VPN's
(First connection being part of an Intranet VPN, & the next connection to
an Extranet, using a second VPN), Wherein the Extranet partner needs to
only be aware of only a particular address space of this customer. The
solution is using BGP route maps, But where are the filters applied? Is
it generally applied while routes are exported or while they are imported.
 Could I also have a small configuration example illustrating the same
with route maps applied to the route-targets pls.

I would like to understand the process of the VRF getting populated with
the necessary routes. My understanding is that MBGP is used to exchange
VPN routes between PE routers. Now once the PE router has an entire list
of routers pertaining to various RD's. How is the VRF populated? Does BGP
populate the VRF based on the route-target criteria specified in each &
every VRF.

Could I have a small MBGP configuration example between two PE routers,
illustrating the exchange of VPN routes, assuming I run static routing
with my customers.

While I am trying to offer guarantees on bandwidth on an IP MPLS core, I
understand traffic engineering will do the job, But there seem to be
various options on provisioning Traffic engineering (Through RSVP etc).
Which is the best way of doing so, & how is it achieved.

I hope I am not asking for too much.

Kindly advice..

Thanks & warm regards,
Vinod.