Re: [nsp] ATM/DSL problems

From: George Robbins (grr@shandakor.tharsis.com)
Date: Sat Oct 21 2000 - 11:27:06 EDT

As best as one can figure, bridging in general is only supported in
the IOS images with an "s" in the name, and there are no "s" images
in the "S" train. Why it admits to the syntax, but fails to work
is a bit of a mystery, perhaps someone at cisco had good intentions,
but didn't get it right. The 7200-is-mz* images are the least
feature-ridden ones that will do the job,

Now the question of which image to use if you can't ride the "S" train
is interesting, you need to take a hard look at which feautres you
want/need and which bugs you need to avoid. 12.0XE is basically the
"ships with 7200" releaese since it's the variant of the 12.0T train
intended for early support of the VXR and newer PA's.

If you don't need any 12.0T features, have a vanilla 7206 and no PA-MC*
cards, then you can go with 12.0.13 mainstream and pick up a lot of
bug fixing, otherwise you should be running 12.0.7XE1 which is the
last gasp as far as 12.0T/XE bug-fix releases. If you're feeling brave
you may want to look hard at the most recent 12.1T releases, since
that's where all the various platform-dependent DSL support feautures
have been mainstreamed into the 7200/7500.

As far as the pausing behavior, I'd check that you have no un-intended
routing protocols running on your BVI (show ip proto) and if you want
to emit RIP for your customers benefit, use appropriate filtering to
lock it down to "hear nothing", "send default".

Secondly, try "debug arp" - it's possible that you have somene out
there who's confused their IP address with their gateway, someone
trying to use multiple IP addresses or possbibly playing malicious
aliasing/sniffing games.

As usual, scan the various release caveats or use the bug navigator
to look for releated problems.

                                                        George