[nsp] ATM/DSL problems

From: Steven Saner (ssaner@southwind.net)
Date: Sat Oct 21 2000 - 08:32:14 EDT

I am haveing some strange issues with ADSL service provisioned on a
7206 with a PA-A3 ATM interface.

Router: 7206 (non VXR)
IOS: 12.0(2)XE1
ATM interface: PA-A3 Hardware rev 2.0

Below I have an example of a typical configuration that we have been
using now for about 9 months. It is a fairly simple bridged, non PPP
configuration. It has been working well for us up until about a week
or so ago. Since that time customers have complained of periodic and
fairly brief outages. I have been able to reproduce the problem on my
own DSL circuit, but the exact symptoms are very inconsistant. At
times it seems that I have only partial connectivity. Specifically, I
can not pass any UDP traffic, so I can't traceroute to a remote site,
and I can't do DNS lookups, but I can ping or make TCP connections to
the remote site. At other times I loose IP connectivity completely.

There are no errors recorded on the PA-A3 interface. In fact I see no
errors anyplace. The ATM subinterface stays up and shows packets
comming and going. The bridge table seems to remain in tact. It is
kind of like the bridged to routing mechanism breaks.

In an attempt to fix the problem, I have tried to upgrade the IOS on
the router to 12.0(13)S. However, with that IOS, the ADSL config
doesn't work at all. All of the interfaces look fine, the bridge looks
okay, but absolutely no IP connectivity what-so-ever. We are also
using the PA-A3 for a number of frame-relay circuits and they work
fine in either IOS. I have heard no complaints from any of those
customers.

So my questions are:

1. Is there any idea what is causing the periodic outages?

2. Why with the 12.0(13)S IOS does the ADSL configuration not work at all.

Below is a typical configuration for the ADSL service. Am I missing
something that is causing one of the problems listed above.

Thanks for your help

bridge 2 protocol ieee
 bridge 2 route ip

interface ATM6/0.3001 point-to-point
 mtu 2048
 no ip directed-broadcast
 no ip proxy-arp
 no ip mroute-cache
 atm pvc 3001 3 35 aal5snap 1536 1536
 bridge-group 2
 bridge-group 2 spanning-disabled

interface BVI2
 mtu 3000
 ip address 206.53.96.18 255.255.255.252
 no ip directed-broadcast

Steven Saner                            SouthWind Internet Access, Inc.
ssaner@southwind.net                    Systems/Network Administrator
http://www2.southwind.net/~ssaner       http://www.southwind.net
                                        263-7963 Wichita  (800)525-7963