RE: [nsp] Managing the Pix

From: Steve Cundall (SCundall@ariba.com)
Date: Mon Nov 13 2000 - 20:33:33 EST

We have looked as CSPM and have not had good luck in using it. Rumor is that
Cisco doesn't even use it internally to manage their PIXen and ACLs. We had
a really hard time getting it going and finally gave up.

We are currently evaluating a product from Solsoft which so far looks very
promising. It appears to have everything we want. We have been basically
looking for a 'Checkpoint like' interface for managing multiple PIX. We
basically need it because the number of conduits on the firewall was getting
unmanagable and confusing which can cause errors and security problems. I
needed somehting that will allow us to create groups of machines, subnets
and services and then create rules based on that. This product appears to do
it and is fairly easy to use. Its not cheap (~$10k depending on number of
firewalls/routers, its licensed by interfaces managed), but we think it will
do the trick. Please forward any other recommendations you get as we are
still evaluating.

Regards,

Steve