RE: [nsp] Cisco/Altiga VPN 5000 Concentrators

From: Scott.Keoseyan@BroadWing.com
Date: Wed Nov 15 2000 - 15:02:33 EST

Hmmm... it was my understanding that the 5000 series were the Compatible
acquisition and the Altigas became the 3000 series.... I had quite a bit of
time with the Compatible boxes prior to the cisco purchase and they worked
very well. I set up several office to office VPNs with what they were
calling the Intraport 2 and Intraport 2+ (cisco 5001s now). While there
were some feature issues (they didn't do all the multi-protocol stuff they
claimed, mainly on the client-side), there was never a performance hitch and
the boxes performed well with IP.

The article you reference is talking about the Altigas, which on a
price-point are dramatically less that the 5000 series ($3k vs. $19k list...
for the base models). But the 5000 series is just probably a whole lot more
powerful and probably has a lot more features (Linux and Mac clients, for
one thing...).

BTW - I disagree with the guy in the article when he contends that
everything can be done on a router-based platform... if you're going to push
any kind of real traffic thru that router after turning all those features
on, you're probably going to be disappointed with the overall performance of
the VPN. Like the guy said, it's (the Altiga) not a router. No kidding...

Scott