[nsp] Mike Muuss

From: Rob Thomas (robt@cymru.com)
Date: Tue Nov 21 2000 - 10:46:25 EST

This appeared on comp.protocols.tcp-ip.

--
Rob Thomas
http://www.cymru.com/~robt

From: Ron Natalie <ron@sensor.com> Newsgroups: comp.protocols.tcp-ip Subject: Mike Muuss Passes Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 14:21:01 GMT

I regret to pass along a message I got from his sister that Mike Muuss was killed in an automobile accident last night.

Mike was instrumental in the early days of the TCP/IP deployment. Mike supervised the installation and maintenance of then little known operating system called UNIX at Johns Hopkins University in the late seventies. After graduation he went to work for the U.S. Army BRL, where he coordinated a group of UNIX, Graphics, and Network developers. Mike spent time debugging the early BSD networking code in the dawn of it's deployment, was editor of the TCP/IP digest, and assisted greatly in the hosting of the first IETF meeting. His most visible legacy was that he wrote the "ping" program that most network users have come to use as their primary network testing tool.

He will be sadly missed.

-Ron