Re: pppoe

From: Siva Valliappan (svalliap@cisco.com)
Date: Tue Dec 12 2000 - 16:48:17 EST

Hi Kevin,

   IOS supports PPPoE over ATM on a number of platforms --> from the 6400,
7200/7500. 4x00 and the 3600. we also supported PPPoEoE on the 7200/7500,
4x00, 36xx among others. PPPoEo802.1Q is supported on these platforms as
well. for low session counts you may want to use some of the smaller
routers. if you want large session counts, since the 6400 NRP1 or NRP2
does not currently support PPPoEo802.1Q, you should use the 7200 VXR.
depending on the type of NPE and features you use, you could hit as high as
8000 sessions [with the scalability work in 12.1(5)T1].

the IOS PPPoE implementation does not repropagate broadcast/unicast traffic.
we will only look at PPPoE frames. provided you don't enable bridging,
there will be broadcast suppression. i would suggest talking
your local account team for more details.

regards
.siva