[nsp] [nsp] MSFC CPU Utilization Pegged at 99%....but a sh proc cpu does not reveal anything past 1%

From: Martin Cooper (mjc@cooper.org.uk)
Date: Fri Feb 02 2001 - 15:02:16 EST

"Greene, Patrick" <PJGreene@infotechent.net> writes:

> Have a 6509 with 2 MSFC's. The MSFC's are running 12.1(2)E. Just had one
> of the MSFC's spike to 99%. A sh proc cpu reveals that total utlization
> should add up to about 5%. A reload of the module causes the exact same
> thing. A no changes have been made. Anybody seen this before. Also, the
> other MSFC and Switch Utilization are both showing about 3-5%, which is
> normal.

Did this happen while you were loading ACLs from a TFTP server?
We saw this happening with 12.1(2)E and the process causing the
load was the 'Feature Manager' which interacts with MLS and the
PFC I believe. We just upgraded to 12.1(4)E and the problem has
gone away.

Another gotcha to watch out for it seems is that the Supervisor
now appears to determine whether to enable MLS from the MSFC
management interface, rather than from the old 'set mls enable'
command, so if there is no management interface defined, MLS
seems to default to on, somewhat counter-intuitively.

M.