Re: Why can not use both ICMP Redirect and HSRP ?

From: lf@elemental.net
Date: Fri Feb 02 2001 - 15:06:59 EST

Quoting Kent Yu (yux@lucent.com):

> If I simply do a ping from the host to the ip address on the interface(not
> the HSRP address), the the host will learn the primary MAC address of the
> interface anyway, right?

        Yes, the host will learn the MAC address of the primary interface
        but it won't use it for any traffic (apart from your ping). ICMP
        redirects are installed into the kernel routing table and are so
        used for your "normal" traffic.

> I am trying to figure out what is going to happen if I enable icmp redirect
> on the interface running HSRP?

        You will get dynamic routes installed into your host's kernel with
        the primary address of other routers as the next-hop. When one of
        these routers fails you'll basically have to wait for the routes
        installed by ICMP redirects to time out before connectivity to
        certain networks is restored.

        IOS allows you to configure this if you want to loose the good
        fail-over time of HSRP.

        Starting with 12.1(3)T ICMP redirects are supported when the
        next-hop that is redirected to is also running HSRP. See
        http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios121/121newft/121t/121t3/dt_hsrpi.htm
        for the details.

Cheers.
Lars.