Re: Cisco Flash help needed

From: Simon Lockhart (simonl@rd.bbc.co.uk)
Date: Fri Feb 09 2001 - 09:24:22 EST

>I've come across 2 CRCs so far - a 32 bit one used on the Class A cards,
>and a 16 bit one used on the Class B cards. I've tried a standard crc32
>routine (stolen from ssh), but it doesn't match the CRC reported by the
>router. Is there anyone good at understanding CRC routines who can help me
>reverse-engineer the cisco CRC, or perhaps does someone have some inside
>information they would like to share?

After some suggestions from various people, I tried uploading a few test
files onto a Cisco and seeing how the CRCs worked out. It turns out it's
not a true CRC at all, but rather a variation on the TCP checksum
algorithm.

>Please don't ask me for the code yet! I'll let the list know when it's
>available...

v0.1 of the code is now available (read only at the moment):

        ftp://ftp.bbc.co.uk/pub/ciscoflash/

Enjoy,

Simon

--
Simon Lockhart                       |   Tel: +44 (0)1737 839676
Internet Engineering Manager         |   Fax: +44 (0)1737 839516