RE: [nsp] CEF, BGP tables and memory

From: Frank Bruce (fbruce@cisco.com)
Date: Sun Feb 11 2001 - 13:41:06 EST

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios112/ios112p/gsr/
cef.htm refers to the base of the CEF feature, David is spot on CEF uses a
Forwarding Information Base (FIB) to make IP destination prefix-based
switching decisions.

The FIB is conceptually similar to a routing table or information base. It
maintains a mirror image of the forwarding information contained in the IP
routing table. When routing or topology changes occur in the network, the IP
routing table is updated, and those changes are reflected in the FIB. The
FIB maintains next-hop address information based on the information in the
IP routing table.

Because there is a one-to-one correlation between FIB entries and routing
table entries, the FIB contains all known routes and eliminates the need for
route cache maintenance that is associated with earlier switching paths such
as fast switching and optimum switching.

Adjacency Tables
Network nodes in the network are said to be adjacent if they can reach each
other with a single hop across a link layer. In addition to the FIB, CEF
uses adjacency tables to prepend Layer 2 addressing information. The
adjacency table maintains Layer 2 next-hop addresses for all FIB entries.

Have you opened a TAC case, or contacted your account team ?

Regards

Frank Bruce
Consulting SE, NSP West
Cisco Systems Ltd
      | | | 3 The Square, Stockley Park
     :|: :|: | Uxbridge, England. UX11 1BN
    :|||: :|||: | Office : +44(0)20-87568000
 .:|||||||:..:|||||||:. | The Views Expressed Are My Own
 C i s c o S y s t e m s | And May Not Reflect Cisco's
All Cisco technical support should be conducted via the TAC.

How to use the Cisco TAC
http://www.cisco.com/public/support/help.shtml
TAC Newsletter
http://www.cisco.com/public/news_training/itsnews/subscribe.shtml