Re:RE: RE: RE: [nsp] ospf and bgp design question

From: rkuhljr@uol.com.br
Date: Mon Feb 12 2001 - 03:05:47 EST

>>i am designing a SP's Network, total about 80 routers in
>>one city, including backbone nodes and access nodes, i
>>have 2questions:

>Why would I be using 12.1(E), The CAT6K it doesn't support the MPLS VPN PE
>function at this time, so the benefit of routing here would be ? How ever I
>did want to point out that IS-IS _is_ an option not just OSPF, and it has
>been used by SPs for TE purposes for a lot longer than OSPF.

And then all things get together: Cat6K doesn't usually get deployed at TE network segments, so using it as WAN router may not be a good thing, yet.

>So what has the Market Leading Industry Defining ;-) Cisco IOS v12(1)E got
>to do with the price of peas ?

Just because it is needed to run boxes that Cisco account managers are always pushing to SPs..

>I'm sounding a bit like a stuck record but
>http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/620/roadmap.shtml refers to the software
>roadmap and show (at a very high level) where all the code points converge
>and diverge. You'll see from the map that in the future many of the release
>trains with
>new features will converge on the 12.2 major release, you'll note there are
>no letters involved.

>So we expect some bugs in it, TAC support it, that's why its not a major
>release.

Yes, you can really expect some bugs while working with Cat6K... will be a time when SPs can rely on major releases ? (S), (T) and (E) versions are the reality of most SPs today.

Rubens Kuhl Jr.