RE: RE: RE: [nsp] ospf and bgp design question

From: Frank Bruce (fbruce@cisco.com)
Date: Sun Feb 11 2001 - 17:54:22 EST

Nope still confused,

>i am designing a SP's Network, total about 80 routers in
>one city, including backbone nodes and access nodes, i
>have 2questions:
>1.which one is the better solution between multiple ospf
>areas and single backbone area, and does it influence the
>MPLS VPN and TE? (ios version is 12.0.14S2).
>2.if i use BGP route reflctor, how many clusters are fit?
>what does it lie on?

Why would I be using 12.1(E), The CAT6K it doesn't support the MPLS VPN PE
function at this time, so the benefit of routing here would be ? How ever I
did want to point out that IS-IS _is_ an option not just OSPF, and it has
been used by SPs for TE purposes for a lot longer than OSPF.

So what has the Market Leading Industry Defining ;-) Cisco IOS v12(1)E got
to do with the price of peas ?

I'm sounding a bit like a stuck record but
http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/620/roadmap.shtml refers to the software
roadmap and show (at a very high level) where all the code points converge
and diverge. You'll see from the map that in the future many of the release
trains with
new features will converge on the 12.2 major release, you'll note there are
no letters involved.

**Cisco recommends a major release train and maintenance releases
(http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/cc/pd/iosw/iore/prodlit/537_pp.htm) from
that where ever possible, and that you follow a change management process
http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/432/change-mgmt.html . After appropriate
testing.**

So we expect some bugs in it, TAC support it, that's why its not a major
release.

Hope that helps.

Frank Bruce
Consulting SE, NSP West
Cisco Systems Ltd
      | | | 3 The Square, Stockley Park
     :|: :|: | Uxbridge, England. UX11 1BN
    :|||: :|||: | Office : +44(0)20-87568000
 .:|||||||:..:|||||||:. | The Views Expressed Are My Own
 C i s c o S y s t e m s | And May Not Reflect Cisco's
All Cisco technical support should be conducted via the TAC.

How to use the Cisco TAC
http://www.cisco.com/public/support/help.shtml
TAC Newsletter
http://www.cisco.com/public/news_training/itsnews/subscribe.shtml