Re: [nsp] Multiple T1s versus MLPPP

From: Philip Smith (pfs@cisco.com)
Date: Tue Feb 13 2001 - 22:10:35 EST

To be honest, I'd just use a hardware iMUX to do this. I'm sure the router
solution works really nicely, but I've always preferred to use an iMUX as
it moves the problem off the router and away from the possibility of
consuming CPU. One HSSI port on the router takes less real-estate than 8
T1/E1 serial ports - and the router sees the link as one simple circuit,
rather than having to deal with any loadsharing issues.

In answer to Miguel's question, my personal recommendation would be to use
an iMUX at both ends with HSSI into the router. The differing latencies
possible over diverse transoceanic links (plus the above) just make this a
neater solution.

my $0.02,

philip

--

At 10:09 13/02/2001 -0500, Martin Picard wrote: >Hi all, > > I have two routers with 8-T1 interfaces. > How much benefit do I have by using MLPPP > to bundle them instead of using separate > serial interfaces ? > Also, what would be the max number of > T1s to put in such MLPPP bundle ? > > tx > mp