Re: [nsp] traffic engineering w/MPLS VPNs

From: Eric Osborne (eosborne@cisco.com)
Date: Thu Feb 22 2001 - 11:00:46 EST

On Thu, Feb 22, 2001 at 09:51:49AM -0600, Scott.Keoseyan@BroadWing.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to implement traffic engineering tunnels in a lab environment to
> force traffic from specific VPNs across specific links, without any success.
> Does anyone have any examples of how this is done?
>
> I can engineer traffic for destinations in the main routing table but not
> for any destinations in any of the VRFs. When I try to build a TE-Tunnel
> for a destination in a VRF, it simply does not come up. The path signalling
> using RSVP seems to also work fine for destinations in the main routing
> table but will not work for any destinations in any of the VRFs.
>
> I guess what I am asking is, how do I build a TE tunnel for a particular
> destination associated with a VPN and force that VPN to use a strict path
> first and then failover to another?

Since you can't build TE tunnels to a particular VPN, there's a few
steps you can do to work around this:

1) put multiple loopbacks on the egress PE (loop1, loop2, etc)
        loop1 = 1.1.1.1
        loop2 = 2.2.2.2
        etc

2) set the next-hop for different VPNs to different addresses on that
egress PE
        vpn foo next-hop = 1.1.1.1
        vpn bar next-hop = 2.2.2.2.

3) build TE tunnels to the RSVP RID on the egress PE (i.e. loopback0)
        tunnel destination x.x.x.x (*not* loop1 or loop2)

4) don't run autoroute on the TE tunnels, but point static routes for
the next-hops down these tunnels
        ip route 1.1.1.1 tun1
        ip route 2.2.2.2 tun2
        etc

Note that step 1 isn't actually necessary, but I find it helps to save
on confusion.

eric