RE: [nsp] BCP for Address space for ISP environment

From: Steven Godfrey (steven.godfrey@intechnology.co.uk)
Date: Thu Feb 22 2001 - 11:19:21 EST

Hi,

Now that we have rolled out MPLS, doing a trace from other ISP's to Internet
addresses on the other side of our MPLS core results in one of 2 things:

1. If the trace from the originating ISP filters out RFC1918 addresses you
will get a few blank hops as the ttl expires are filtered out.

2. If they do not filter the 1918 addresses you will see the Private
addresses in your traceroute.

Even though you can see the addresses you can't route to it so it only
becomes a visual problem, Oh and it will slow your trace down a little as it
tries to do name resolution.

In my opinion I would rather see the hops in the middle than time outs.

I believe there is a software tweak in later IOS's to allow the MPLS hops to
become transparent, this should resolve this aesthetic problem.

Perhaps someone could shed some light on which IOS version has this option.