Re: [nsp] QOS or Queuing or what?

From: Jim Warner (warner@cats.UCSC.EDU)
Date: Fri Mar 02 2001 - 02:49:12 EST

On Thu, Mar 01, 2001 at 04:14:42PM -0500, Richie wrote:
> Is it possible on a Cisco 6509 or 75xx series to limit a type of traffic per
> conversation to a certain amount of bandwidth? For example, let's use the
> wonderful Napster idea. On a T1, I want to limit Napster to 30kbps per
> conversation per user, so if all users use Napster that's fine, but each
> user will be limited to 30kbps per conversation. The T1 can be all Napster
> traffic, but want all users to be able to access the circuit. As I
> understand it, in the normal queuing mode, you set a minimum amount of
> bandwidth aside or cap a type of traffic to a percentage of the bandwidth
> utilization.

This is pretty much what weighted fair queuing does -- sorts the output
queue into flows and attempts to give an equal share of the channel to
each flow. But when you say "per conversation per user" -- weighted
fair queuing works per conversation and knows nothing about users.
Queuing schemes generally are about allocation of the channel. If you
want to restrict use in a way that leaves the channel less than full,
you need something that does shaping or policing. If you want to limit
a single Napster stream to 30 Kb/s leaving the rest of the T1 idle,
that's what you'd have to do.

WFQ is the "normal" mode [i.e. default] for T1s. Running fancy queuing
on faster lines is dicey.