Re: [nsp] Limiting bandwidth use from the far end of the link

From: Miguel A.L. Paraz (map@internet.org.ph)
Date: Fri Mar 02 2001 - 22:08:54 EST

Hi,

I'm sorry if this a way old topic (since 1997?) :)

On Fri, Mar 02, 2001 at 06:02:22AM -0800, Barry Raveendran Greene wrote:
> One step you might look into is to lease a router from your upstream
> provider in the US. Several US providers do this. They lease you one of
> their routers (7200 is the usual router). Your link is connected to this
> router. You can then CAR/traffic shape/RED on the US side of the ocean -
> before you really pay for the packet.

We are moving towards this, but, as we are multihomed the packets for a
customer will be coming from different upstreams - unless we specify that
the customer will only pass through one (causing BGP table bloat).

Would there be a "scientific" explanation on why a customer can pull in
more bandwidth than their leased line or traffic-shaped circuit? Is it
because the sender only slows down later in the TCP transmission, and new
stuff comes in at full international circuit speed?

--

http://www.internet.org.ph The Philippine Internet Resource Mobile Voice/Messaging: +63-917-810-9728