Re: [nsp] WCCP and "distant" customers

From: Lincoln Dale (ltd@cisco.com)
Date: Fri Mar 16 2001 - 23:19:03 EST

it sounds like squid's WCCP implementation and/or TCP stack isn't ensuring
that the total packet size (advertised TCP MSS + ip-header size + tcp
header size) is less than the MTU.

remember that WCCP is based on layer-4. if fragmentation can occur prior
to the WCCP intercept, things can "go bad".

squid isn't unique in not ensuring that the TCP MSS is set to a reasonable
value; many other commercial cache vendors get this wrong too, no matter
how many times i've told them. :-(

cheers,

lincoln.