Re: [nsp] REG: LABEL Distribution

From: Eric Osborne (eosborne@cisco.com)
Date: Tue Mar 20 2001 - 10:55:10 EST

On Tue, Mar 20, 2001 at 01:28:26PM +0530, Vinod Anthony Joseph Cherunni wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> If TDP / LDP is used for distribution of labels / tags on a network that
> carries MPLS VPN traffic, & other types of traffic such as Internet
> traffic as well, Will the interface command "tag-switching ip / mpls ip"
> result in labels / tags being generated for all IP prefixes. Generally how
> is it handled on a Service provider network. I am a little worried on what
> impact it would have on the Internet traffic traversing my network.

labels will be distributed for all non-BGP prefixes.
the generation and distribution of labels can be controlled with

gsr1(config)#mpls ldp advertise-labels for ?
  WORD IP access-list for destination prefixes; name or number (1-99)

> Is is mandatory that the global configuration command "tag-switching ip /
> mpls ip" should be entered, or else whether the interface commands
> "tag-switching ip / mpls ip" only should be issued. The reason being only
> when the global command is also given along with the interface
> counterpart, I am able to view the TDP bindings for the IP Prefixes, This
> is in the case, when I had tried out using TDP as the distribution
> protocol.

'tag ip' (or 'mpls ip') must be enabled globally for anything to work.
the same command must be enabled on an interface to get that interface
to participate in TDP/LDP.

eric