RE: Private Vlans

From: Stephen R. Gill (gillsr99@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Mar 24 2001 - 03:17:41 EST

From what I understand, the Cat6000 switches (without IOS code) are the only
devices that truly support private vlans. Recent support has been added to
the 2900XL/3500XL switches to support private vlan edge ports only under
12.0(5)XU. I do believe that they are working on getting this feature added
to the IOS code on the Cat6000 as well. The main issue is that it works in
hardware at the ASIC level and would be hard to port to other existing
hardware architectures ad hoc.

See: http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/63.html

As a side note, Foundry has recently added support for private Vlans but I
have not done inter-operability testing to know if they are compatible with
Cisco - my guess would be no.

-- steve