[nsp] Back-to-Back T1 Mystery?

From: CARL.P.HIRSCH@sargentlundy.com
Date: Tue Apr 17 2001 - 15:00:22 EDT

Hello, I'm new to this list. Apologies for starting off with a possibly
simple question, but I'm looking for some help.

I'm currently in the process of setting up three routers in a lab
environment for eventual deployment on a WAN.

The Configuration is as follows -
Two Cisco 7140 Routers with Multichannel T1 adapters with integrated
CSU/DSUs (PA-MC-2T1)

One Cisco 2621 Router with T1/Fractional T1 WIC module with integrated
CSU/DSU (WIC-1DSU-T1)

One of the 7140s will be at our main site, with the other two hanging off
of it in remote sites. All devices are IOS 12.0 or above.

For testing purposes, I've obtained T1 crossover cables and configured the
main 7140 to provide internal clocking, while both of the other routers
are set for line clocking.

All devices are set for B8ZS signalling, ESF framing, and all circuits
should be configured with Channel Groups of 24 64kbit DS-0s.

The two 7140s show their links as being up, line protocol is up. However,
the T1 link between the 7140 and the 2621 shows as up, Line Protocol Down.
Neither interface shows errors or any clock slippage, they simply won't
bring the interface up.

I tried putting the Controller and Service-Module into Debug mode, but
nothing enlightening showed up, simply that the HDLC connection continued
to be down after attempted resets.

I'm fairly confident that this is not an cabling issue, as I've swapped
cables and the cables I'm using have been successfully used for such a
setup before.

What can I be looking at, here? Are there any interoperability issues
between the PA-MC-2T1 and the WIC-1DSU-T1 that I'm missing? I've spent the
last couple of days doing Bug Navigator searches and looked through
various troubleshooting guides on Cisco's site and I'm coming up short.
I'm beginning to get stumped, as my experiences with T1 interfaces have
been relatively painless in the past, once the Telco got their act
together, anyway.

Any ideas, folks?

thanks,
-carl hirsch