[nsp] VIP/PA-E3 problem

From: George Boulescu (george@roedu.net)
Date: Thu May 17 2001 - 12:58:31 EDT

Hi.

I have a 7513 with a VIP2-40 (2M Sram, 64M Dram). In the VIP i have a
PA-2E3 . Both of the E3 ports are beeing used and I'am getting full E3
line rate on them. The router has a RSP4 with 256Mb ram, two full BGP
tables (2 providers, each one on it's E3 line).

On normal loads (no floods, traffic at about 32Mbps on each interface) the
VIP has 97% cpu load.
The big problem is that when one of the links gets flooded, the rate drops
on on both very badly.

I know that the VIP2-40 is not the right choice and my question is what
hardware combination should I use ?

Can the PA-2E3 handle 2 fullrate lines ? What VIP should I use ? VIP4-80
or VIP2-50 ?

In the future I want to have (eventually) 2 PA-2E3 on the same VIP.
Is this a good idee ? Should I have 2 VIP-s with 2 PA-E3 on them or a
VIP4-80 fully loaded can handle 4 fullrate E3 lines ?

Thanks in advance.

--

George Boulescu Senior Network Engineer RoEduNet Bucharest NOC CCAI, CCNA