Re: Noisy/Vibrating PSU on 7100-series router?

From: George Robbins (grr@shandakor.tharsis.com)
Date: Thu May 17 2001 - 20:50:38 EDT

7200's are bricks, expensive but reliable. 99% of the problems
are with the supports-a-million cards, protocols and features
IOS images. The more bloat, the more bug exposure and the less
focus.

we've never had problems with our one 3640, we've sold a number
to customers without fundamental problems. They're "cheaper",
but then so are used 7206's so we tend to get 7206's for our
own internal use where 7500's or GSR's aren't indicated.

The 3600 (and 2600) are nice flexible systems that replace the
obsolecent 4000 and 2500 platforms. Those families had just sort
of run out of room to grow, without changing memory architecture /
capacity and system/slot interface capability.

The 3600 series could be a bit better if Cisco wasn't playing
price-protection games with the 7200 family, there are a few
key interface cards missing (t3 or ct3 and atm t3) and the
prices are a bit high, especially the 3660.

The 7100 series is potentially a strong performer in between the
3600 and 7200 series, but again Cisco is playing games to avoid
selling them into slots that could sell as 7200's.

                                                George