Re: [nsp] cat6509 port collison

From: chris@obelix.hedonism.cx
Date: Sun May 20 2001 - 08:36:00 EDT

Hi Eric,

> when i show port in cat6509, i found that some of the port
> have a large number of single-col, multi-col. Do you have any idea
> of its meaning , and is it abnormal? how to solve it ??

Collisions are absolutely normal on a Half-Duplex Ethernet.

As long as the percentage of collisions (compared to the total number
of network-packets on this network) is acceptable to you and your
applications (collisions slightly decrease the total bandwith available
and may increase the latency of packets going through this network
segment) there's nothing wrong with your network.

See O'Reilly's Ethernet-Book for details.

        Chris

--
I personal[ly] think Unix is "superior" because on LSD it tastes like
Blue. -- jbarnett                                           (seen on Slashdot)