Re: [nsp] OSPF not distributing 1 interface

From: Dmitri Kalintsev (dek@hades.uz)
Date: Mon May 28 2001 - 19:32:05 EDT

On Fri, May 25, 2001 at 09:51:40PM -0400, Bryan Ginman wrote:
> The reason that this is not preferable is that it injects it as a External
> type 2 route with a much higher AD and does not increase its metric through
> the area. This can cause problems in large networks if you are not careful
> and definitely is not as clean. In and of itself this is not necessarily
> "evil", however in large networks with multiple redundant paths, etc this is
> not "best practice" the best practice is to run the IGP on all interfaces in
> the passive state that you do not want to actively participate in IGP
> conversations.

Who said they must be Type2?

Router(config-router)#red stat subn metric-type ?
  1 Set OSPF External Type 1 metrics
  2 Set OSPF External Type 2 metrics

(Same applies to "connected")

We actively using it in few networks, though carefuly done through the
route-maps. Works fine. As well, it helps keeping unnecessary routing
information out of Stub areas.

SY,

--
 CCNP, CCDP (R&S)                          Dmitri E. Kalintsev
 CDPlayer@irc               Network Architect @ connect.com.au