Re: [nsp] 7206 NPE 200

From: jlewis@lewis.org
Date: Tue May 29 2001 - 10:46:44 EDT

On Tue, 29 May 2001, Gert Doering wrote:

> > > The NPE-225 has one PC100 (?) DIMM which currently supports up to 128Mb,
> > > but Cisco is in the process of certifying 256 Mb DIMMs.
> >
> > At one point many months ago, I ran a VXR with NPE-225 with a 256mb dimm.
> > I guess it's not technically supported, but it seemed to work.
>
> Can you remember what kind of DIMM it was? PC100/PC133? ECC, or "plain"?

IIRC, the 225 came with a PC100 64mb registered ECC dimm. IIRC, the one
we put in was 256mb PC100 registered...but I don't remember if it was ECC
or plain. I think it may have been plain. We had it laying around from
some server upgrade parts that didn't get used and I figured I'd try it
since we wanted more than 64mb. It worked, so we ran with it.

> I didn't mean to imply that it doesn't work, I just meant "Cisco is not
> admitting yet that it works, and you can't purchase certified 256Mb DIMMs
> for the 225" :-)

I realized that. They can't certify existing NPE's for more memory if
they wouldn't already work with it. They just don't technically support
it yet.

 Jon Lewis *jlewis@lewis.org*|  I route
 Atlantic Net                |