RE: [nsp] 6509s, BGP, dot1q, Static Routes limit, and such things

From: Rubens Kuhl Jr. (rkuhljr@uol.com.br)
Date: Thu May 31 2001 - 20:14:56 EDT

6509, Sup1a/Sup2, both running the new MSFC2, has no problem dealing with a
lot of static routes, BGP and other L3 features you might want.

Some gotchas on 6509 you should look at:
1) Sup1a+MSFC2 uses MLS-driven L3 switching, which can be easily crack down
if you turn full-flow (IP src/dst, L4 src/dst info) on or use something that
requires it (such as Server Load Balancing), because of 32k suggested
simultaneous flows, 128K upper limit. Running it at dest-flow (IP dst only)
will work if your site isn't popular enough to have more than 32K different
IPs at the simultaneous sessions; Sup2 is strongly suggested to such
scenarios, or if you can spend the extra dollars before you have the demand.
Sup2 uses CEF-driven L3 switching and doesn't suffer from this.
2) Backplane performance without switch fabric is a bit limited compared to
BlackDiamond. Using switch fabric and only fabric-enabled modules (only
gigabit modules available) provides lots of bandwidth to play with, but also
requires Sup2.

Rubens Kuhl Jr.