[nsp] REG: Multi-homing to two different providers.

From: Vinod Anthony Joseph Cherunni (vac@dsqworld.com)
Date: Wed Jun 06 2001 - 08:34:49 EDT

Dear All,

I am really sorry for a long mail.

I have a case wherein an Enterprise needs to multi-home to two different
service providers. The enterprise uses a Cisco 3662 router to connect to
both the providers on the same box. The requirement is as follows -

1. The enterprise uses static defaults pointing to both the providers
using the link to Service Provider A as the primary link, & Service
provider B as the backup.

2. Both the providers have not insisted on using BGP with them.

3. The address block given by service provider A is - 10.1.1.0/24, & block
provider by service provider B is - 11.1.1.0/24 (Assumption). Now
internally I use Private addresses for all my hosts. The 3662 router at my
premises does NAT for hosts that require it. Now I have evenly allocated
the addresses provided by both Service provider's for my hosts. Ideally
speaking the requirement would be that hosts that have addresses provided
by Service provider A should be routed via the connection to Service
Provider A, & the same needs to apply for provider B also. I think this is
the way it should actually work.

4. One question is how will I use the links for redundancy for incoming
traffic.

5. One solution that I thought was Policy based routing tied with the
source address to next hop set. Is it firstly the right way of doing so.
If so, since NAT is used on the same box. Can I define a policy comparing
the private address against the source of the packet, or else will NAT
take precedence first.

Kindly advise me.

With warm regards,

Vinod.