[nsp] VIP reload (was Re: [nsp] 7507, VIP2/50, and POS-OC3)

From: c.spurgeon@mail.utexas.edu
Date: Wed Jun 06 2001 - 14:32:54 EDT

>but OIR sometimes mean "On-line Insert, then Reload", on a good
>day, card will pop up like magic, but other times you'll get a
>hang and restart (C-BUS complex restart) or a crash or the card
>just won't be recognized. You just try a few more times and if
>that doesn't work power-cycle and magic occurs. 8-(

On the topic of OIR, we've found that we can avoid the router-wide
cbus stall/restart due to VIP crash/reload or OIR with the command:
"service single-slot-reload-enable"

This command showed up in a fairly recent version of 12.0(n)S.

We've been running a 7513 BGP border router on 12.0(15)S1 with single
slot reload enabled and have had a couple of VIP reload situations
(parity error crash/reload, card insert) which have gone much better
than they used to in the past.

As always, YMMV.

-Charles

Charles E. Spurgeon / UTnet
UT Austin Telecommunication and Internet Services
c.spurgeon@mail.utexas.edu / 512.475.9265