Re: [nsp] c7200 architecture question?

From: Gert Doering (gert@greenie.muc.de)
Date: Fri Jun 08 2001 - 17:08:31 EDT

Hi,

(I take the liberty to bring cisco-nps back on CC:)

On Fri, Jun 08, 2001 at 04:56:02PM -0400, Aaron Weintraub wrote:
> http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/core/7206/port_adp/3471pac6.htm
>
> agrees with what you think, which also agrees with what I think.
>
> There are not 3 busses in the 720x to my knowledge.

Actually, that document backs *both* statements :-)

Quote: "The optional ports on the I/O controllers connect to a third PCI
bus, mb0, that connects to one of the PCI buses or to both of the PCI buses,
depending on which network processing engine (NPE) or network services
engine (NSE) is installed and supported in your system."

So it's a separate bus, but the bandwidth used will usually be charged to
the other bus(es).

Now the interesting question is: for which NPE/NSE, where does it connect
to? Even more fascinating :-) - but it seems that all available NPE/NSEs
connect mb0 to mb1.

Quote: "For a Cisco 7200 VXR router that has an NPE-300, NPE-400, or NSE-1
installed, the following error messages are displayed:
%C7200-3-PACONFIG:Exceeds 600 bandwidth points for slots 0, 1, 3 & 5"

(and similar for the lesser NPEs).

So the book is in error (kind of). There are a few more (it claims the
NPE-300 runs with 300MHz, but the NPE itself claims 262 MHz), but the part
on IOS architecture (what it's about after all) seems to be very good.

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
Gert Doering - Munich, Germany                             gert@greenie.muc.de
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert.doering@physik.tu-muenchen.de