[nsp] DLC Ethernet Frame Format

From: Wortendyke, Ken (KWortendyke@Timebridge.com)
Date: Thu Jun 14 2001 - 17:45:58 EDT

Greetings all,

This is more of an enterprise question, but is there a way to build an LSAP
or Type Code filter to explicitly permit DLC communication to/from HP
network printers? I can't find any protocol specific info for DLC on the
Web.

The client has a multi-VLAN campus with numerous printers that they want to
communicate via DLC to the print server.
Since they are dead set on using DLC for communication from the print server
to the printer, we'd like to only permit DLC for bridged traffic before we
fire up bridging on the MSFC.

We've been going back and forth quite a bit with the client on the pros/cons
of IP printing. They have over 200 locations that they'd like to do this
with - and they insist on no communicating via IP to the printer. Oh
well....

Any insight into the frame format of DLC printer traffic that we could use
for ACL's would be great!

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

Regards,
Ken Wortendyke