Re: [nsp] ip accounting-transit?

From: Gert Doering (gert@greenie.muc.de)
Date: Tue Jun 19 2001 - 06:00:31 EDT

Hi,

On Mon, Jun 18, 2001 at 05:01:42PM -0400, George Robbins wrote:
> It works, it's an dest/inverse netmask if I recall,

Yes, this is what I found as well. It still shows "some" accounting
records where neither source nor destination address matches - but not
*all* IP traffic for those hosts either. Must be a bug in combination
of fast switching and ip accounting (like: "first packet of a flow
not yet in the fast cache and thus not checked vs. accounting-list" or
so).

> where a reference to an extended access list would be more useful,

Yes!

> not to mention
> something like "ip accounting *in*".

Yes yes - even though in the ISP environment, "ip accounting out" usually
suffices, it breaks badly when NAT comes into play, as one direction is
accounted using external IPs, and the other with internal IPs...

> An overall feature description would be useful, but you can find info
> on transits and violations if you search on CCO.

Hmmm. Do you have an URL handy? I did search, and it showed up only
command references that do not explain more than what I quoted...

Is there something like a "doing ip accounting / comparing various
accounting strategies with Cisco routers" whitepaper somewhere?

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
Gert Doering - Munich, Germany                             gert@greenie.muc.de
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert.doering@physik.tu-muenchen.de