Re: [nsp] What does the 'other' mean?

From: Jim Warner (warner@cats.UCSC.EDU)
Date: Fri Jul 06 2001 - 14:10:25 EDT

huiy said:

| I configured my GSR routers and Netflow Collector to use RouterAS
| router-based aggregation.But in the data file the collector saved, there
| as so many "other" in the src-as and dst-as domain, especially in the
| src-as domain. What does the 'other' mean? Is it similar to the '0'
| in the same same domain?

I don't use the Netflow Collector software. But the way netflow
AS aggregation works, the IP addresses for each flow are looked up
in the local forwarding table to find the associated ASN. If you
don't have a route to the source or destination of that flow, it
will register as AS = 0. AS aggregation produces the most useful
results in routers carrying full routing tables. To the extent
that you're using a default route, you'll see lots of "other" traffic.