RE: [nsp] configuring 2 D channels(T1) for 2 or more T1's on as53 00

From: Young, Jason (Jason.Young@anheuser-busch.com)
Date: Tue Jul 31 2001 - 12:39:19 EDT

It sounds like you're intending to use NFAS (non facility-associated signalling)
to use one D channel to control more than one PRI. In that case, you need to
state that explicitly on all your controllers.

On your "primary" controller, the one where the primary D channel is:

 pri-group timeslots 1-24 nfas_d primary nfas_interface 0 nfas_group 1

On your "secondary" controller, the one with the backup D channel:

 pri-group timeslots 1-24 nfas_d backup nfas_interface 1 nfas_group 1

On further controllers:

 pri-group timeslots 1-24 nfas_d none nfas_interface 2 nfas_group 1

All PRIs you expect to be controlled by one D channel or a primary/backup D
channel pair must be in the same nfas_group. Increment nfas_interface by one for
each PRI you add (your 4th PRI is nfas_interface 3, for example).

Cisco documentation:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios113ed/113t/113t_3/nf
as.htm

You need to make the corrections to your two controllers before you bring up any
more PRIs, or they won't function properly.

There has been a great deal of argument I've heard about how many PRIs you can
control with a single D channel. The telcos say anywhere between two and six
that I've heard. I can say that I've done 14 PRIs with one D channel on an
AS5800 - 28 PRIs on a channelized T3, D channels on 1 and 15, no redundant D
channels since they're all on one real facility anyway. I had no problems at
all, even with the initial call "rush" after reboot or other issues. Cisco seems
to allow you to configure 50-something PRIs to belong to a nfas_group. Your
mileage may vary.

Jason Young
CNS - Network Design, Anheuser-Busch
(314)577-4597