Re: [nsp] MP-BGP and MPLS / VPN

From: Zaheer Aziz (zaziz@cisco.com)
Date: Tue Aug 14 2001 - 16:56:02 EDT

At 05:04 PM 8/14/2001 -0300, Marcio Pilotto wrote:
>Hi there,
>
>I have some questions regarding the reason for Route Distinguisher ( RD )
>and MP-BGP route decision process:
>
>1 - Does a PE maintain a separate and independed BGP table for each VRF?
>That means a specific BGP table per VRF?

yes

>2 - If a PE maintain BGP table per VRF so the role of RD is significant
>just for route-reflector decision process and not for PE. Is that right?

Same route may be learned with two diff RD but are imported in same vrf,
therefore Best route decision process will take place in PE as well.
Significance of
separate RD for same prefix will offer benefit in Route-Reflector for
load-sharing
in MP-IBGP.

>3 - Which happens first when a PE learns a VPN route from another PE via
>MP-BGP: try to find the best VPNv4 route or try to associate that route
>with a VRF based on the RT value?

>4 - If the PE learns a route from another PE make a route decision before it
>try to fit it into a VRF so the RD is usefull for the PE, otherwise not
>since the PE will fit that route into a separate VRF. Is that right?

For 3 and 4:

First the path gets installed in the vrf BGP table and then goes through
Best path
calculation test.

Zaheer