Re: [nsp] OSPF design question

From: Ryan O'Connell (ryan@complicity.co.uk)
Date: Mon Aug 20 2001 - 09:11:13 EDT

On Mon, Aug 20, 2001 at 04:06:56PM +0800, Nick wrote:
> Just a quick question on OSPF design. We have a main PoP site POP1 and this
> is connected to 2 other PoP sites POP2 and POP3 via 2xE1 links. Usually all
> traffic out to the Internet from these PoPs is via POP1.We would like to
> include a third 1xE1 link between POP2 and POP3 for backup and redundancy to
> POP1 when either 2xE1 link is down. Is this possible via the backup
> interface/backup delay commands? Any caveats to look out for?

You don't need "backup" commands to do this, OSPF will do this by default as
the POP2->POP3->POP1 route will be a higher cost than the direct POP2->POP1
link.

> Also is it possible to load this 1xE1 link for traffic to POP1 when say the
> POP3-POP1 2xE1 link is congested - to load some traffic via
> POP3->1xE1->POP2->POP1->Internet? Is this possible via the backup
> interface/backup load + ip ospf cost commands? Any caveats to look out for?

No, you would need EIGRP to do this.

"backup interface" commands apply to dialup links, not fixed links, so they
are not any use to you in this scenario.

--
Ryan O'Connell - <ryan@complicity.co.uk> - http://www.complicity.co.uk

I'm not losing my mind, no I'm not changing my lines, I'm just learning new things with the passage of time