[nsp] 7200 ISL subinterface problem

From: Spencer Garrett (srg@2alpha.net)
Date: Thu Oct 04 2001 - 21:55:49 EDT

We just bought our first 7200 and I'm trying to work out
how best to use it. I've run across a pretty sticky problem
and I'm not finding any help in the fine manuals.

I'm using vlans on some Catalyst 2924XLs and bringing them into
the router using ISL trunking. This has worked swimmingly
for me on our 2600 and 3600 routers. When I use the same type
of configuration on the 7204 (VXR with NPE-224 running 12.0.5T)
I find that every time I add another subinterface with another
ISL color *all* the other subinterfaces on the port get reset.
They're not down long, but all of the BGP, OSPF, and HSRP
sessions get reset, which is unacceptable. The same configuration
on 2621s and 3640s does not do this.

Does anyone have any suggestions to help me figure out if
this is an idiosyncracy of the 7200 series, a hardware
problem, or a configuration issue?

Here's the basic setup. I'm using a PA-2FE-ISL in slot 2.

interface FastEthernet 2/0
 no ip address
 ip route-cache flow
 duplex full
 no shutdown

interface FastEthernet 2/0.300
 encapsulation isl 300
 ip address x.x.x.x m.m.m.m
 no ip directed-broadcast

interface FastEthernet 2/0.301
 encapsulation isl 301
 ip address x.x.x.x m.m.m.m
 no ip directed-broadcast

When I paste in that second subinterface definition (or
a third, etc.) *all* of the previously-defined subints
drop momentarily.

Thanks,

Spencer