Re: Smartnet and used equipment

From: Dan Hollis (goemon@anime.net)
Date: Sun Nov 11 2001 - 22:01:43 EST

On Sun, 11 Nov 2001, William Devine II wrote:
> I was told by my cisco rep that I could get SmartNet on new or used
> routers, but that when I bought a used router, the IOS was licensed to the
> original buyer and that I'd have to buy the IOS to use on the box.
> What truth is there to that? IE that the IOS 'license' is not
> transferrable?

There are serious legal questions as to whether it is legal for cisco to
do this in certain states. IIRC West Virginia was one state where it's
illegal for cisco to restrict transfer of IOS license in this way. Wasn't
someone checking up on individual state laws about this?

-Dan

--
[-] Omae no subete no kichi wa ore no mono da. [-]