RE: [nsp] questions on 4006, 6509 *SFC cards

From: Zach Wilkinson (zach.wilkinson@sjsu.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 17 2002 - 14:57:46 EDT

Actually, when I say VPN I'm talking about dialin RAS/VPN, like Microsoft
RRAS or Checkpoint VPN-1.
You put your access points and a RAS/VPN server in an isolated VLAN. After
installing a dialable VPN client on the notebook the user dials the VPN
server to establish an encrypted connection (PPTP, or whatever). This
connection tunnels through the access point, through the wired VLAN to the
VPN server. The traffic comes out of the VPN server just like any dialin
RAS user, most likely over a different interface.
The all traffic between the notebook and the VPN server is encrypted.
-
Zach Wilkinson
Engineering Computer Systems
San José State University