Re: [nsp] Question about long-haul point-to-point

From: Ron Buchalski (rbuchals@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Dec 21 1997 - 12:06:53 EST

BDickson wrote:

>I only know of one that comes to mind that scales higher. I've only
>seen glossy info and presentations on it, so you should test it
>before buying. It's the Ascom Timeplex Synchrony TX-3
>(http://www.timeplex.com/prodsols/tx3.htm). It's a general purpose
>system which presents interface types: HSSI, V.35, OC-3, DS3, E3, T1,
>E1; and can do MUX and IMUX, and even SONET ADM or terminal.

Be careful here. I've heard that Timeplex is discontinuing this
product. Besides, for a single circuit, it's an expensive solution.
You also overstated it's SONET capabilities. It can attach to a OC3
SONET uplink, but it treats the SONET connection as 3xDS3s. It was
originally intended to be a 3:1 cross-connect, with later capabilities
added to do IMUX. The SONET attachment was added to allow carriers to
connect it to a SONET ADM for an uplink.

One other thing: The DS3/DS1 and E3/E1 versions of the TX3 use different
hardware, and you can't mix and match components from the two.

You really don't need a product that can IMUX a higher rate channel into
more than 8 T1s because the cost of a full DS3 is around the same as the
cost of 7-8 T1s, so you'd be paying more for a ~15Mb/s circuit (10 T1s)
than you would for 45Mb/s. I think that it's one reason why IMUX
vendors never scaled their products beyond 8 T1s.

-rb

Ron Buchalski
SE, Cisco Systems
(former Ascom Timeplex)