Re: [nsp] Question about long-haul point-to-point

From: Brian Dickson (BDickson@teleglobe.ca)
Date: Mon Dec 22 1997 - 11:40:57 EST

>You really don't need a product that can IMUX a higher rate channel into
>more than 8 T1s because the cost of a full DS3 is around the same as the
>cost of 7-8 T1s, so you'd be paying more for a ~15Mb/s circuit (10 T1s)
>than you would for 45Mb/s. I think that it's one reason why IMUX
>vendors never scaled their products beyond 8 T1s.

Careful here, that is only true in the USA. In other areas, the break point
on price
can be higher, and on circuits that are *much* more expensive (meaning it's
harder
to convince management that the money spent on equipment will be wasted).
In addition, there are also non-terrestrial circuits (orders of magnitude
more expensive),
where N x T1's or N x E1's are the only option on both the bandwidth *and*
interface.

But I admit that the total market for these solutions, compared to the 2, 4
or 8 T1's
situation, is considerably smaller. Still, the lack of scalable products is
annoying.
Does anyone know of any other products that go above 8 x T1/E1? Extra bonus
if the units can function on simplex circuits (don't ask).

Brian Dickson
Teleglobe