Re: [nsp] multiple MAC addresses on Catalyst 5000 port

From: Al Roethlisberger (aroethli@cisco.com)
Date: Sun Jan 04 1998 - 17:19:42 EST

At 01:52 PM 1/4/98 -0800, you wrote:
>I can't seem to find anywhere in the documentation weather it is legal
>to have multiple MAC addresses connected to a single 100mb fast
>ethernet port on a catalyst 5000. I have a client with many of the
>older CiscoPro 1400 switched hubs (I believe these are the grand
>junction technology) and I'm trying to figure out if I can connect an
>unswitched 100mb port on the 1400 to a single switched port on the
>5000. I don't have any documentation for the 1400, but I don't think
>it supports the trunking features that can be used to interconnect
>catalyst hubs.
>
>Rob

Not 100% on the answer here as I am not sure if I understand 100% of what
you are asking(i.e. any special trunking or VLAN issues). But if you are
merely curious if you can hang a collapsed backbone concentrator(hub,
non-switched) off of a switched port of a Cat5k, the answer is yes.
Switched ports do not require connectivity to another switched port.

Hope that helps.

al