Re: [nsp] cisco usage stats

From: Jared Mauch (jared@puck.nether.net)
Date: Fri Jan 16 1998 - 00:55:11 EST

        Look at mrtg, or build your own. mrtg is very neato and likes
lots of different interfaces and gives you nice graphs.

        As long as you've got a fast machine, and not a lot of boxes,
it handles it really fast.

On a dark and stormy night, Stephen Balbach said:

> Currently developing a system to track usage stats on cisco interfaces in
> order to bill based on usage (burstable service).
>
> Pulling the IfOctets of total bytes, the stats seems to mysteriously reset
> to 0 on occasion. No reboots, etc.. throws the count off and makes one
> wonder how reliable the 'total bytes' stats are.
>
> What is the best method of getting reliable cisco usage stats, on a 5
> minute basis, over a long period. Prefer SNMP because of the low resource
> overhead vs. an expect script. Unable to find a SNMP variable that shows
> the 5-minute average as seen in 'sh int'.

        I think there's some snmp variable someplace buried in there
for it, can someone at cisco point Stephen in the right direction?

        - jared