Re: [nsp] BGP load balancing

From: Alvaro Retana (alvaro@cisco.com)
Date: Tue Jan 27 1998 - 10:47:42 EST

Dimitris Zisiadis wrote:

> Here is the scenario:
> >
> > AS X AS Y
> >
> > _____________________ B
> > /
> > \_____________________ C
> >
> > Router A belongs to AS X, while routers B and C belong to AS Y.
> >
> > Router A is to receive FULL routing from AS Y and have the two
> >connections to AS Y load balanced and backed up.
> >
> > One solution of course is to manualy configure the announcements
> >with prepends of AS X or to use two route mapped MED values for the
> >two connections, but it is very hard to keep it functional.
> >I was wondering if there is some other way around it.

Dimitris:

Outbound load balancing from AS X can be achieved by using the BGP
multipath feature in 11.2 (and late 11.1CA).

Inbound load balancing is not trivial...'unfortunely' the solutions
you mention are the only ones...

Alvaro.

      .             .         | Alvaro Retana
      |             |         | Customer Support Engineer, CCIE #1609
     |||           |||        | Phone: +1 919 472 2061
.:|||||||||:...:|||||||||:.   | email:  alvaro@cisco.com
    cisco Systems, Inc.       | ISP Team (Research Triangle Park, NC)