Re: [nsp] BGP load balancing

From: Mark A. Fullmer (maf@net.ohio-state.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 28 1998 - 15:35:18 EST

Alvaro Retana writes:

>Dimitris Zisiadis wrote:
>>
>> > One solution of course is to manualy configure the announcements
>> >with prepends of AS X or to use two route mapped MED values for the
>> >two connections, but it is very hard to keep it functional.
>> >I was wondering if there is some other way around it.
>> >
>Inbound load balancing is not trivial...'unfortunely' the solutions
>you mention are the only ones...

Collect flow stats on the external peers. Create a filter that
matches srcIf=outside, dstIf=inside. Pipe that in to a top 10
network prefix by destination traffic report. Use the report
to shift traffic around with the methods you described.

ie

for rawflow.01-19-98.21
                 flows octets packets duration

132.235.0.0 9.246 9.603 6.610 6.030
131.238.0.0 4.453 5.998 10.541 3.427
129.1.0.0 3.981 5.232 6.570 3.684
131.183.0.0 3.242 4.017 3.010 3.529
130.101.0.0 2.894 3.171 2.270 2.735
163.11.0.0 2.565 2.824 1.885 1.653
131.123.0.0 1.964 2.721 1.961 1.475
130.108.0.0 1.825 1.767 1.090 1.087
206.21.115.0 0.909 1.755 1.205 1.288
199.6.32.0 0.881 1.734 1.641 1.773

Most everything you need to do this:
ftp://ftp.net.ohio-state.edu/users/maf/priv/flow2.tar

--
mark